If you’re a pizza lover, you know that the sauce is just as important as the toppings. But did you know that you can make your own pizza sauce at home? Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also a great way to customize the flavor to your liking. In this post, we’ll walk you through the steps of making pizza sauce from scratch.
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make pizza sauce:
- 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
Now that you have all the ingredients, it’s time to start making the sauce. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Heat the Olive Oil
Start by heating up the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and cook until it’s fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic, as it will make the sauce taste bitter.
Step 2: Add the Crushed Tomatoes
Next, add the can of crushed tomatoes to the saucepan. Use a wooden spoon to stir everything together.
Step 3: Season the Sauce
Add the salt, dried basil, dried oregano, and sugar to the sauce. Use the wooden spoon to stir everything together again.
Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes. This will give the flavors time to meld together and will also help thicken the sauce.
Step 5: Blend the Sauce (Optional)
If you prefer a smooth pizza sauce, you can blend it in a blender or with an immersion blender. Be careful not to overblend, as you don’t want the sauce to become too thin.
Step 6: Let the Sauce Cool
Once the sauce is done, let it cool before using it on your pizza. You can store any leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Tips for Making Pizza Sauce
Now that you know how to make pizza sauce, here are some tips to help you get the best results:
- Use high-quality ingredients. Since there are only a few ingredients in pizza sauce, it’s important to use the best quality you can find. Look for canned tomatoes that are packed in their own juice rather than in a tomato puree or tomato sauce.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes. If you like your pizza sauce to have a little kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the saucepan along with the other seasonings.
- Use fresh herbs. If you have fresh basil or oregano on hand, feel free to use those instead of the dried herbs. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to use more of them since dried herbs are more concentrated.
- Don’t forget the sugar. While it might seem odd to add sugar to a savory sauce, it actually helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes and makes the sauce taste better overall.
Making your own pizza sauce is a great way to take your homemade pizza to the next level. With just a few simple ingredients and some time on the stove, you can have a delicious sauce that’s customized to your liking. So why not give it a try and see how much better your homemade pizza tastes?